We are an Equal Opportunity organisation, providing loans for new business ideas and businesses needing investment. Eligible candidates may borrow up to £20,000 interest free for 9 years to establish themselves in their chosen career/business.
To be eligible for consideration for a loan you must be:
- over 18 and under 45 years of age;
- resident in Leicestershire or Rutland and wanting to start a business or require additional funds for growth / expansion;
- going to base or are already running the business in Leicestershire or Rutland;
- have liquid assets of less than £40,000;
- able to personally demonstrate that the business has the potential to succeed;
- able to demonstrate that you have a real need for the loan and that the project
would not proceed without assistance from the charity; meaning that you are able to
demonstrate insufficient personal funds or credit status to secure the funds required
- where the business is other than a sole trader, control a 50% or greater share of the business for which they are applying for a loan;
- where the applicant is a non-UK citizen, you must have indefinite leave to remain in the UK or have the relevant permit for the full duration of the nine year loan period
Applicants whose plans are based solely on making sales on the internet:
- must demonstrate not only what their trading website will look like, but how they will drive customers to the site, and have satisfactory arrangements for safely handling personal and financial details of their customers
- should be able to provide a clear and comprehensive explanation of the level of sales expected over the first year of the plan, and the method(s) employed to achieve increasing sales
- should note applications with a full year of trading history, which demonstrates the sales growth potential will have a greater chance of receiving a loan offer from the charity.
How it works
- You can telephone 0116 204 6620, or fill out the contact form at the bottom of this page for application details. You will need 2 to 3 guarantors for the loan.
- Once completed, return the application pack together with your business plan.
- An interview will then be arranged with a small group of Trustees to discuss your business idea. These take place in February, May, August and November. Applications are required prior to interview dates. Please check specific deadline dates on our ‘Key Dates’ page.
- If successful, you and your guarantors will sign a joint and several bond. This procedure will require:
– for loans up to £5,000, 2 guarantors are required each guaranteeing the full amount
– for loans between £5001 – £10,000, 2 guarantors are required each guaranteeing a maximum of £7,500
– for loans of £10,001 – £20,000, 3 guarantors are required each guaranteeing a maximum of £7,500 or 2 guarantors each guaranteeing a maximum of £10,000 are required
- The loan is interest free for 9 years, but becomes repayable by equal instalments after 3 years.
Register for an application pack today
Simply fill out the contact form below and we’ll send one out to you.
Please check spam/junk folders for any emails from STWLC.